Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Update on the Last Year and a Half (Part 1)

No posts generally means either things are going well, or the author is lazy/absent minded about the blog.
There's been a combination of the two, but I shouldn't leave you all in the dark about what's been happening.

Nearly a year ago, in the summer of 2012, I started the Ketogenic Diet, a diet with high fat, low carbs and low protein - especially low carbs.
Similar to the Atkins Diet, it puts the body in a mode of running on fat, rather than using sugar as the main fuel. This is called a state of ketosis.
The diet requires high precision, as the wrong number of calories, the wrong ratio of fat to (protein + carbs), and simply too many carbs within the right ratio will change the depth of ketosis.

I've known that this diet exists for many years, but it took until after many medicines had been tried and surgery had been tried for me to choose it.
Why? The ketogenic diet is generally described as healing within about 2 years; I wanted instant healing.
So, it took until many medicines had been tried and found insufficient, surgery had been tried and failed and one or two more medicines had also proved not good enough for me to look at the diet.

Then, in late July 2012, I started the diet, and a period of about 7 weeks with no seizures and no auras began - a wonderful beginning.
With great help from Mom, I built up a database of ingredients, with all their nutrition facts regarding fat, protein, carbs and calories, as well as recipes that conformed to the rules.
Having experience cooking for the whole family in the past, I was soon able to transfer from cooking some meals myself and having other meals cooked by Mom to cooking each and every meal on my own.
(But I'm still to this day refining my ability to write things I'll need soon on the shopping list soon enough in advance of running out...)

(In order to keep the post length reasonable, I'll leave it hanging here. Check back in a day or two.)

No comments: